This pumpkin brioche french toast is warm, comforting, and flavored with pumpkin spice…this is your classic french toast recipe with a twist! This unique french toast has thick, buttery slices of brioche that are soaked in a creamy pumpkin custard. This recipe is completely dairy-free, egg-free (but banana-free too!), vegan, and delicious!
This post was originally published on November 13, 2020 and has been updated on September 12, 2022.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Spice Brioche French Toast
It’s been a while since I’ve had good french toast. On the weekends, I have a little more time to make myself a warm and cozy breakfast. So this weekend, I’m making Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast! This recipe is great if you have leftover pumpkin puree from holiday baking that you need to use up.
Here are a few more reasons you’ll love this recipe:
- Perfect Golden Brown Exterior: pan-fried for the best crispy exterior and a soft custardy interior
- Quick and Easy Recipe: ready in under 20 minutes, this french toast will be a fall favorite nearly every morning!
- Thick, Rich Slices: buttery brioche bread creates an extra special french toast
- The Best Pumpkin Flavor: a dash of pumpkin spice adds just the right amount of fall flavor
why this recipe works
No eggs are necessary for this pumpkin brioche french toast! A lot of vegan french toast recipes call for bananas as the base of the custard.
This recipe uses about 3 eggs worth of Just Egg to thicken the custard and help create a crispy texture on the outside.
We’ll be subbing in a few key ingredients to make this the best vegan pumpkin french toast. These substitutions really help create a rich, moist, and ‘eggy’ texture.
The main ingredients for this recipe are:
- Just Egg, equivalent to about 3 eggs
- Pumpkin Puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- Non-Dairy Milk, like oat milk
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Maple Syrup, or use brown sugar
- Vegan Brioche Slices, I used Trader Joe’s new Vegan Brioche Loaf
- Egg Mixture: this recipe uses the equivalent of about 3 eggs worth of Just Egg. You could substitute in 1/2 a cup of mashed banana instead.
- Brioche: sub in your favorite bread like sourdough, french bread, or even use thick slices of Texas toast.
The best bread for french toast:
The key to this recipe turning out smooth, creamy, and ‘eggy’ on the inside but not soggy is the type of bread you use.
It’s super important that you use a high-quality bread, preferably one that comes in a whole loaf that you can slice yourself.
📌 Note: Use slices that are about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 of an inch thick for the best results.
- Shallow, Large Bowl or Dish: to mix the custard and soak the bread
- Non-stick Pan or a Griddle: to cook the french toast
To make this french toast, you’ll need a nonstick skillet and a large shallow bowl (or a square baking dish). This french toast only takes about 10 minutes to make and requires only a few simple steps.
STEP 1: Heat a pan on medium-low with about a tablespoon of vegan butter.
STEP 2: In a square baking dish, combine all the custard ingredients and whisk them together.
STEP 3: Place 2 slices of brioche into the batter at a time to soak for 1 minute. Then flip, and soak the other side for about 2-3 minutes.
📌 Note: The amount of time the bread soaks depends on the quality and thickness of the slices.
STEP 4: Transfer the toast to the heated skillet and pan-fry the toast on medium-low heat. Fry each side for about 3 minutes (or until golden on each side). Repeat for the rest of the toast slices.
STEP 5: Serve with syrup, powdered sugar, and/or berries on top.
French Toast Toppings
What makes this Pumpkin Spice French Toast so great is topping it with fun ingredients! Here are a few ideas of what to top your french toast with:
- Pepitas: These add some nice nutty crunch.
- Pecans: pumpkin and pecan pair perfectly together
- Strawberries: Berries add a layer of sweetness and freshness.
- Powdered Sugar: This is a classic french toast topping that adds some additional sweetness to each bite!
- Maple Syrup: The maple flavor pairs so perfectly with the cinnamon and pumpkin in this recipe!
- Pumpkin Butter: for even more pumpkin flavor
- Dairy Free Cream Cheese: pumpkin and cream cheese pair so well together…smear a little on top of this toast for a twist!
- This french toast keeps very well in the fridge for 2-3 days. Wrap it well in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container.
- This recipe can also be frozen for 2-3 months and reheated in the toaster or toaster oven.
- High Quality, Thick Slices of Bread: it’s important to use high-quality ingredients for the best results.
- Use Day-old Brioche to Prevent Soggy Slices: slightly stale bread prevents the custard from creating soggy slices.
- Soak the Bread According to How Thick It Is: the time spent soaking in the custard depends on the thickness and the overall quality of the bread. The thicker the slices, the longer the bread should be able to soak, and the thinner the slice of bread, the less time it will need in the custard.
Day-old bread or slightly stale vegan brioche works best for this french toast. This helps the slices from becoming soggy.
I don’t recommend using regular sandwich bread for this recipe. Sandwich bread is often sliced too thin, and won’t hold up well to soaking in the custard.
I used Trader Joe’s Vegan Brioche Loaf for this recipe, which is new this fall. Other specialty grocery stores or bakeries should carry vegan brioche. You can also make your own brioche if you’re ambitious! If you can’t find brioche, another high quality bread like sourdough or french bread can be used instead.
More Brunch Recipes:
- Maple Pecan Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Biscuits with Whipped Maple Butter
- Cozy Spiced Maple Coffee Cake
- Vegan Just Egg French Toast
- Baked French Toast Casserole
Did you make this vegan pumpkin brioche french toast recipe?
I’d love to know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below!
Pumpkin Brioche French Toast
This pumpkin brioche french toast is warm, comforting, and flavored with pumpkin spice...this is your classic french toast recipe with a twist! This unique french toast has thick, buttery slices of brioche that are soaked in a creamy pumpkin custard. This recipe is completely dairy-free, egg-free (but banana-free too!), vegan, and delicious!
A cozy vegan breakfast for fall or winter, this pumpkin spice french toast uses Just Egg in the batter and is layered with cinnamon & pumpkin flavor.
- 1/2 cup Just Egg, equivalent to about 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, like oat milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5-6 slices of good quality day old vegan brioche bread, ½ inch - ¾ inch thick slices (see notes)
- 2-3 tbsp vegan butter, for pan frying
- Vegan butter, Earth Balance
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Berries, for topping
- Begin heating a pan or skillet on medium-low with about a tablespoon of vegan butter.
- In a square baking dish, combine all the custard ingredients (Just Egg, pumpkin puree, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, salt, vanilla). Whisk the ingredients together until well combined.
- Place 2 slices of bread into the batter at a time to soak. Soak bread in the batter for 1 min, flip and soak for 2-3 more mins on the other side.
- Transfer the toast to the heated skillet and pan-fry the toast on medium-low heat. Fry each side for about 3 minutes (or until golden on each side).
- Repeat for the rest of the toast slices.
- Serve with syrup, powdered sugar, and/or berries on top.
- Use day-old brioche to prevent soggy slices: slightly stale bread prevents the custard from creating soggy slices.
- Soak the bread according to how thick it is: the time spent soaking in the custard depends on the thickness and the overall quality of the bread. The thicker the slices, the longer the bread should be able to soak, and the thinner the slice of bread, the less time it will need in the custard.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 10gCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 7g
Want to Save this Recipe for Later? Pin it to Pinterest!
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my blog so I can continue to provide you with free content each week!
Leave a Reply