This easy 3 ingredient coconut milkshake has an incredibly creamy texture and is topped with toasted coconut flakes and sweet coconut whipped cream. It’s the perfect cold, summer treat on a hot day. Use dairy free coconut milk ice cream or add toasted shredded coconut to the shake for an even richer coconut flavor.
Why You’ll Love This COconut Shake
This creamy coconut shake is incredibly easy and the perfect drink to sip on during the summer. Here’s why we’ve been loving making it and you will too!
- Packed with Tropical Flavor – This milkshake has a rich coconut flavor, enhanced by an optional dash of coconut extract and the delightful crunch of toasted coconut shavings.
- Vegan-friendly and Creamy – Coconut cream and vegan ice cream create a creamy, dreamy texture without any dairy.
- Quick and Easy – With just 3 primary ingredients and a high-speed blender, this coconut shake comes together in minutes. Ideal if you have a sweet tooth and you’re in need of an instant summer refresher.
- Fully Customizable – The recipe leaves room for your creativity. Add a frozen banana for a hint of sweetness or opt for coconut milk ice cream to further intensify the coconut flavor.
You only need 3 main, simple ingredients to make this recipe, plus a few extras if you’d like to top it off with coconut shavings and whipped cream like the photos! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coconut cream – We’re using chilled full-fat coconut cream from a can. It provides the shake with a thicker, richer texture than if you were to use other plant-based milk.
- Dairy Free Ice Cream – Whether it’s coconut ice cream for the coconut lovers, or a vanilla ice cream of your choice, this is what makes a milkshake a milkshake! The ice cream also adds sweetness to the drink. I prefer using a coconut milk based ice cream or an oat milk ice cream to keep this recipe dairy free.
- Extracts – Both Pure Vanilla Extract and Coconut Extract are optional. They can both enhance the flavor of your milkshake!
Here are a few optional toppings that amp up the flavor and the fun factor of the milkshake!
- Toasted Coconut Shavings – Adds a delicious crunch and extra coconut-y flavor.
- Coconut Whipped Cream – The finishing touch that adds an extra level of creaminess and sweetness.
Customize your coconut milkshake to your liking with these variations:
- Coconut Cream – You can purchase canned coconut cream on its own, or you can chill a can of full fat coconut milk for a few hours. The cold will cause the fat in the can to solidify at the top of the can. You can scoop the solid coconut cream off the top of the canned coconut milk once it has solidified.
- Banana – A frozen banana can provide some extra sweetness and a delightful tropical flavor to the shake.
- High Speed Blender
- Milkshake Glass or Mason Jar
Step By Step Instructions
For exact ingredient quantities, skip to the recipe card below!
STEP 1: In a high-speed blender, combine the chilled coconut cream, ice cream, and extracts if using. Blend until creamy and smooth.
TIP: make sure the coconut cream is chilled for the BEST thick and creamy texture.
STEP 2: To enhance the coconut flavor, consider adding toasted coconut shavings or coconut extract. If you prefer a colder milkshake, throw in 2-3 ice cubes (keep in mind this might water down the milkshake).
STEP 3: Pour the shake into a glass, top with coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut shavings, and enjoy your homemade summer treat.
Toasting Coconut Flakes
Toasting shredded coconut is an easy process that adds a delightful crunch and an enhanced coconut flavor to the shake. Here are two simple ways to do it:
- On the Stove: Place a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add your coconut flakes or unsweetened shredded coconut and stir continuously for 3-5 minutes or until they become golden brown. Be careful as it can burn quickly!
- In the Oven: Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C). Spread the coconut flakes evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Again, keep a close eye on the coconut to prevent it from burning.
Making Homemade Coconut Whipped Cream
Homemade coconut whipped cream is a fantastic dairy-free alternative to regular whipped cream, perfect for topping off your coconut milkshake. I used store bought coconut whipped cream in this recipe but here’s a simple method to create your own:
- Chill a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. The cold will cause the cream to separate from the liquid. Or use a can of coconut cream instead.
- Scoop out the solid coconut cream that has risen to the top of the can, leaving the liquid behind. Be sure not to use any of the liquid!
- Using an electric mixer, whip the coconut cream until it becomes light and fluffy, like traditional whipped cream. If you’d like, you can add a sweetener like powdered sugar or vanilla extract (½ tsp) during this step. I recommend starting with ¼ cup of powdered sugar and gradually adding more until it reaches your desired sweetness.
- Store the whipped cream in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. Before serving, give it a quick whip to fluff it back up!
This milkshake can be enjoyed as a refreshing dessert or a cool treat on a summer day. It would be great on Memorial Day or the Fourth of July or as a late summer snack on Labor Day. Serve it immediately for the best taste and texture!
If you’re a coconut lover, feel free to use this coconut shake recipe as a base and make your own variations. Here are some ideas:
- Chocolate coconut milkshake: add in 2-3 tbsp of cocoa powder to the blender. You can also stir in dark chocolate chips.
- Strawberry coconut milkshake: blend up 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen ripe strawberries for a dreamy pink milkshake.
- Vanilla coconut milkshake: add in 1/2 a vanilla bean or additional pure vanilla extract.
- Pina Colada Milkshake: add in 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple for a yummy pina colada flavor.
- Coconut Mango Milkshake: add in 1/2 cup of frozen mango chunks.
Follow these tips for the best vegan coconut shake!
- Make sure your ice cream is COLD: for the best texture, make sure both your ice cream and your coconut cream are as cold as possible. This will make sure the milkshake is nice and thick, not melted.
- Sweeten to taste: this recipe doesn’t have any added sugar, but feel free to add in sugar or maple syrup to taste if it isn’t sweet enough for your liking.
- Add Toasted Coconut: for a more intense coconut flavor, use coconut milk ice cream or add in a handful (about 1/4 cup) of toasted coconut shavings or flakes to the mixture prior to blending.
Yes, you can. However, keep in mind that full-fat coconut milk and coconut cream lends a richer coconut flavor and provides more creaminess to the milkshake.
If you’re looking for a lighter version of this milkshake, you can use coconut water. Just keep in mind that this will alter the creaminess and richness of the milkshake.
The natural sweetness of the ice cream and coconut should be enough for this milkshake. However, if you prefer a sweeter taste, you can add a touch of your preferred sweetener or a frozen banana for a natural sweetness boost.
More Delicious SUmmer Treats:
- Oreo Bubble Milk Tea
- Vegan Ice Cream Cake
- Coconut Peach Ice Cream Bars
- Cookie Dough Banana Nice Cream
- Butterscotch Milkshake
Did you make this Creamy COconut Milkshake Recipe?
⭐️ I’d love to know! Leave a star rating and comment below! ⭐️
Want to Save this Recipe for Later? Pin it to Pinterest!
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my blog so I can continue to provide you with free content each week!