As soon as the weather begins to get chilly, I’m ready for soup for basically every meal. Does anyone else feel the same way? I love simple warm soups for an easy fall weeknight dinner. This Easy Vegan Roasted Sweet Potato Carrot Soup is exactly that. This soup has a full-bodied flavor with a touch of natural sweetness from the root veggies and a bunch of creaminess from the coconut milk. It’s definitely hearty, warm, creamy, and filling.
This soup is fast, can be made in under 30 minutes once the veggies are roasted, and only uses 7 ingredients. This sweet potato soup with coconut milk is super creamy, yet vegan and vegetarian friendly. What makes this soup extra tasty is roasting the sweet potatoes, carrots, and garlic before adding them into the soup. Slow roasting the veggies with a little olive oil brings out the sweetness and rich flavors they have. When you roast sweet potatoes, in particular, the carbohydrates actually break down and turn into sugar molecules, making them sweeter and more flavorful.
what you’ll need
This quick and easy vegan soup only has 7 common ingredients (not including salt and pepper!) that you probably have in your pantry already. To make this soup, you’ll first need to gather the following ingredients:
- Sweet potatoes,
- Veggie Stock,
- Coconut Milk,
- And Olive Oil.
how to make the sweet potato soup
After roasting the veggies, all you need to do is throw them in a large stockpot with the onion, stock, and coconut milk. You’ll want to simmer the ingredients for a few minutes to heat everything up. Then, all you need to do is blend everything with an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can blend the soup in a high-speed blender. (But just be careful since the mixture is hot!)
Looking for more fall dinner inspiration?
Try out these delicious and comforting meals:
storing the soup
This Easy Roasted Sweet Potato Carrot Soup is warm, creamy, healthy, and comforting. And it’s also completely vegan and gluten-free! Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months. If freezing, you may want to store this soup in individual containers, so it’s easier to defrost and reheat.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Leave a rating and comment below!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 6 large carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 1/2 cups veggie stock
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork. Peel the carrots. Place the sweet potatoes and carrots on the sheet pan. Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil over the carrots and make sure they’re thoroughly coated.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, place the 3 garlic cloves onto the same baking sheet and bake for the remaining 15 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes, carrots, and garlic from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Saute the diced onion until translucent.
- Rough chop the garlic and carrots and place them in the stockpot. Peel the baked sweet potatoes and place the cooked filling into the pot.
- Add the veggie stock, coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture in the pot until smooth and creamy.
- Top with more fresh ground pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil and coconut milk.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley and a big chunk of rustic bread.
If you don't have an immersion blender, you could also pour the mixture into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.