So here’s the sweet and simple story behind this simple and sweet sauce. In the midst of the pandemic, my grocery store has been out of all sweet soy sauce for weeks. What better way to prompt the creation of this super easy homemade sweet soy sauce!
5 staple ingredients
Most of the ingredients you need for this sauce, should already be in your pantry. It’s made from coconut sugar, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger and garlic.
The coconut sugar adds a nice caramel undertone to the sauce that marries nicely with the salty umami flavor of the soy. If you don’t have coconut sugar on hand, no worries! I recommend subbing in dark brown sugar or even normal brown sugar in its place.
All you need to do is bring the ingredients to a boil and then reduce the sauce to a very low simmer for a few minutes. And bam! You’re done.
I love this super easy homemade sweet soy sauce for a few reasons:
- It saves me a few bucks, since I don’t have to buy another specialty sauce from the store.
- I save a trip to the grocery store during a global pandemic!
This homemade sweet soy sauce is a great addition to other sauces I’ve made like my 5 ingredient Korean Chili Sauce. Or you can use it as a dipping sauce for dishes like dumplings or potstickers.
- ¼ Cup Coconut Sugar (sub. dark brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Combine ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil on low/medium. Reduce the heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved and slightly thickened.
- Transfer to an airtight container to cool.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 8Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutritional info is an estimate.