Spring is starting, which means I want fresh flavors in everything! Lemon is one of those flavors that just never gets old to me. Today, I’m sharing these bakery-style Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins! Packed with lemon zest and juice and topped off with crunchy granulated sugar, this vegan muffin recipe makes for a tasty morning treat.
These eggless lemon muffins are fluffy and moist on the inside, with a crisp crust on top. To get the best texture, I’m using the following ingredients:
- Baking soda
- Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer
- Non-dairy milk
- Non-dairy yogurt : vegan yogurt is a must in this recipe! It helps bind the muffins and keep them incredibly moist.
- Vegan butter: vegan butter adds fat to the mixture to help keep the muffins from drying out.
add ins & substitutions
While the core ingredients are above, you could play around with some of the different flavors and substitutions below:
I’m using Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer in these plant based muffins. I’ve found that this egg replacer keeps the muffins from becoming too crumby. You could try substituting ground flaxseed mixed with water instead, or you could add in 1/4 cup of applesauce. However, I have not tried either of these substitutions and cannot guarantee results.
While the core ingredients are above, you could play around with flavors and add in fruit like blueberries. Lemon blueberry muffins would be an amazing treat!
While these are technically vegan lemon and poppy seed muffins, you could try substituting chia seeds instead of poppy seeds. I haven’t tried this substitution myself, so I can’t guarantee results.
You could play around with other citrus flavors like orange (to make vegan orange muffins!) or grapefruit. Substitute in the same amount of zest and juice that’s listed in the recipe card below.
the best vegan lemon poppyseed muffins
These easy vegan lemon poppyseed muffins are great to eat for breakfast, brunch, or a snack. Bursting with citrus flavor, these fluffy muffins make me feel so ready for spring! This recipe makes 6-7 full-sized muffins.
While they’re best served warm with a dollop of vegan butter, you can store these muffins in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
In the mood for more yummy vegan treats? Check out these recipes!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Leave a comment & rating if you did!
Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Just in time for spring, these fluffy bakery-style vegan lemon poppyseed muffins are bursting with zesty flavor. Munch on these dairy-free muffins with a morning coffee or an afternoon tea!
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour, spoon and level method
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer , mixed with 3 tbsp water (see notes)
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 tbsp vegan butter , melted, I used Earth Balance
- ¼ cup plant milk, I used Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt, I used Silk Vanilla Almond Milk Yogurt
- Granulated coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prep your muffin pan by lining it with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the center and add in the wet ingredients.
- Mix until just combined and the mixture forms a very thick batter.
- Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of batter into each muffin tin (about ¾ of the way full).
- Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes and golden on top.
To Make the Vegan Egg:
- Mix together 1 1/2 tablespoon of Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer with 3 tbsp of water. Make sure there are no clumps.
- Set the mixture aside and let thicken for about 3 minutes.
- Note: Be sure not to let the mixture thicken for too long or it will become too thick and gloopy in texture.
Adapted from the non-vegan recipe by The Preppy Kitchen.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
Nutritional info is an estimate.
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my blog so I can continue to provide you with free content each week!
Leave a Reply