If you’re in the mood for a strawberry cake, what better way to top it than with this easy vegan strawberry frosting! This dairy-free strawberry buttercream is so incredibly creamy with a bold strawberry flavor throughout. Dare I say the best strawberry buttercream frosting!
the main ingredients
One of the best parts about this vegan strawberry icing (besides the flavor!) is that it’s made with only 5 easy ingredients. You’ll need the following to make this vegan buttercream:
- Salted Plant Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Freeze Dried Strawberries
- Almond Milk
why freeze-dried strawberries?
This plant-based frosting is made with freeze-dried strawberries instead of fresh or frozen strawberry puree. But why is this?
Have you ever made a fruit-flavored icing only to have the butter/fat curdle as soon as you add the fruit? Well, by not using fresh strawberry puree we avoid the risk of curdling our frosting but still get all of the great flavors!
making the vegan buttercream
This buttercream is super easy to make and only takes about 10 minutes. You’ll need either a stand mixer or a hand mixer to make this frosting.
The first step is to whip the softened plant butter until fluffy. Then you’ll slowly whip in the powdered sugar. Once the frosting is well mixed, light, and fluffy, you’ll mix in the vanilla and the freeze-dried strawberries. If you’d like to thin out the buttercream, add in 1 tablespoon of almond milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency. And voila! It’s done!
dairy-free frosting faq
Below are a few commonly asked questions about this homemade easy vegan strawberry frosting:
I don’t recommend using fresh strawberries or strawberry puree in this recipe. Freeze dried strawberries help the frosting stay light and airy while adding bold berry flavor. They also help prevent curdling or separation that fresh berries can cause.
I recommend that you can store this frosting in an air-tight container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
While the freeze dried strawberries add a good amount of pink color, you can also add 1-2 drops of plant-based food color if you’d like a bolder color!
Looking for more vegan comfort food? Check out these recipes!Vegan Strawberry Crunch Cake
Brown Sugar Strawberry Shortcake
Easy Vegan Chocolate Lava Cake
Pear Almond Cake
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Leave a rating and comment below!
- 1 1/3 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 cup salted vegan butter, softened at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- Place the softened vegan butter in a large bowl. With your hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter until it is slightly lighter in color (about 2 minutes).
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time, while mixing on low speed. Once the sugar is incorporated, beat on medium-high for 2-3 minutes or until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Using a food processor, pulse the freeze dried strawberries until they are a powder.
- Pour the strawberries and the vanilla extract into the frosting and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- If you'd like to thin out the buttercream, add in 1 tablespoon of almond milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 tbsp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 6gCarbohydrates: 7.5g
Disclosure: This page contains some affiliate links. Please know that I may receive a percentage or commission from a link included on this page, at no cost to you. I will only recommend a product or service that I have used or believe has substantial value to my readers.