The holidays are coming up which means it’s time to start planning some festive menus! With colder weather finally here, root vegetables are fully in season. I picked up some beautiful rainbows carrots from the grocery the other day and knew they’d make the prettiest and tastiest side dish. Today I’ll show you how to make some savory Maple Tahini Glazed Rainbow Carrots (which would make the perfect Thanksgiving side).
Does anyone else feel like rainbow carrots are tastier than normal carrots? They taste basically the same as normal carrots, but something about the fact they’re so colorful makes them taste better!
One of my favorite methods for preparing carrots (and most root veggies) is roasting. Slow roasting the carrots at a high temperature helps bring out their natural sweetness and adds a touch of caramelization to their exterior.
This is an easy side dish that only requires a few ingredients. They are:
& Olive Oil
The first step is to make the marinade. In a bowl or baking dish large enough to fit the carrots, you’ll combine the olive oil, maple butter, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic, whisking so they’re well combined. Just like with my marinated Sweet & Savory Brussel Sprouts and my Flavorful Baked Tofu, the trick to making these carrots taste extra good is making sure to marinate them for enough time. You’ll want to marinate these carrots for at least 20 minutes, stirring them occasionally to make sure they’re well coated.
Then you’ll pop them in the oven and bake them until the exteriors are carmelized but the interiors are soft and fork-tender. These vegan & gluten-free Maple Tahini Glazed Rainbow Carrots would taste amazing served alongside some fluffy mashed potatoes or with some seitan turkey!
If you’re on the hunt for some more holiday recipe ideas, check out these festive recipes:
These carrots are also very easy to make ahead of time. They store very well in the fridge, and in fact, they taste even more flavorful the second day!
- 1 ½ tsp maple butter
- 2 tbsp +1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp soy sauce, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ large red onion, chopped
- 2 lbs of rainbow carrots, washed and peeled
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp maple butter
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp warm water
- In a bowl or baking dish large enough to fit the carrots, combine the 2 tbsp olive oil, maple butter, balsamic, 2 tbsp soy sauce, and garlic, whisking so they’re well combined.
- Add the prepped red onion and carrots. Stir the vegetables until well coated in the marinade. Let them marinate for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the carrots for 30-35 minutes until fork tender and caramelized. After 20 minutes of cooking, add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of soy sauce. Stir the carrots and bake for the remaining 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prep the tahini drizzle by combining the tahini, maple butter, soy sauce, and warm water.
- When the carrots are done roasting, let them cool for a few minutes before drizzling the tahini sauce on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is an estimate.