In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make the best vegan chicken and waffles using seitan. The air-fryer vegan chicken is crispy and chewy, while the vegan buttermilk waffles are fluffy and crispy. Serve this dish on top of a slightly bitter bed of arugula, drizzle it with rich maple syrup, and dip it in a touch of sweet chili sauce.
This classic comfort food dish is filling and completely omnivore-approved!
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Chicken & Waffles Recipe
This classic Southern dish is perfect for anyone who loves a balanced and satisfying meal. Here are a few reasons we love it and you will too!
- Out of this world, crispy vegan fried chicken: This perfect vegan chicken is made of vital wheat gluten, a little bit of tofu, and a little bit of jackfruit, which creates an amazingly convincing texture. It can be air fried or deep-fried and then baked!
- Flavorful, fluffy, crispy waffles: Perfect for waffle lovers, this vegan buttermilk waffle recipe is infused with vanilla, which adds another layer of flavor to this dish.
- Perfect for a show stopping meal: This recipe makes a show-stopping main course meal that’s perfect for date nights or weekend dinners.
Ingredients & Components
This recipe consists of two other recipes I make all the time that are already on the blog. For this recipe, you’ll need to make the following:
For serving, you’ll need:
- Fresh Arugula
- Pure Maple syrup
- Sweet chili sauce
the crispy air fried vegan chicken
This air-fried vegan chicken is out of this world. It’s crispy, filling, and is really the star of this dish. I have a whole in-depth post on how to make the best vegan air fryer chicken. (The notes section of the recipe card below includes deep frying and baking instructions!)
This vegan chicken is a unique take on seitan. It’s made of vital wheat gluten, a little bit of tofu, and a little bit of jackfruit. These main ingredients combined together create an amazingly convincing texture. You can shape this recipe into vegan chicken nuggets, drumsticks or fillets.
TIP: You can use store-bought vegan chicken if you’d like! Gardein’s Ultimate Vegan Chicken Nuggets would be delicious on these waffles.
the best vegan buttermilk waffles
Chicken and Waffles wouldn’t be complete without the best Vegan Belgian Buttermilk Waffles. These waffles are fluffy on the inside but crisp on the exterior. They’re infused with vanilla which adds another layer of flavor to this vegan chicken and waffles recipe.
Similar to the air-fried vegan chicken, I have an entire in-depth post on how to create the perfect vegan buttermilk waffles.
TIP: If you don’t have a waffle iron, or you’re in a pinch, you could use store-bought vegan waffles but fresh homemade ones have a better texture and flavor.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- An air fryer or deep pot + oven
- A waffle maker
STEP 1: To make the vegan chicken, follow this recipe. (You’ll want to combine the wet mix with the dry ingredients).
STEP 2: Knead the mixture until it becomes stretchy and firm. Shape the mixture into chicken-sized pieces.
STEP 3: Pour the vegan buttermilk into a shallow dish and mix the breading in a separate dish. Coat the vegan chicken pieces in a mixture of breadcrumbs and spices.
STEP 4: Place the vegan chicken pieces in the air fryer to cook, flipping halfway through.
STEP 5: To make the vegan buttermilk waffles, mix together all-purpose flour, non-dairy milk, vegan butter/oil, apple cider vinegar, flax egg, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
STEP 6: Pour the batter into a preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
STEP 7: To serve, place the chicken pieces on top of the cooked waffles on a bed of arugula. Then, drizzle with maple syrup and sweet chili sauce.
Serving the Vegan Chicken & Waffles
I live in North Carolina, and there’s a vegan restaurant called the Fiction Kitchen we frequented that makes the best vegan chicken and waffles dish. I moved away from NC (and have since moved back), but while away, I wasn’t able to find anything similar to Fiction Kitchen’s dish.
Which is why I created this recipe inspired by the dish at Fiction Kitchen. They served the crispy vegan chicken and fluffy waffles with arugula and an optional side of sweet chili sauce. Y’all, this is what takes these waffles from great to out of this world. (If you’re ever in NC, be sure to check out The Fiction Kitchen! They’re amazing!)
This recipe is mouthwatering, completely omnivore-approved, and makes a show-stopper main course meal. I highly recommend you serve these unbelievable vegan seitan chicken and sweet waffles on top of arugula and with a side of chili sauce.
The arugula adds a layer of earthiness to the dish, and the sweet chili sauce pairs perfectly with the sweet maple syrup. This recipe is perfect for a Sunday Brunch or a date night dinner.
This dish is best served fresh and warm. You can make the waffles ahead of time and freeze them, then reheat in a toaster or toaster oven.
You can also freeze the seitan chicken prior to breading and air frying, making it easy to have on hand when you need it.
- If you don’t have an air fryer, you can deep fry and then bake the vegan chicken in the oven.
TO FRY & BAKE THE VEGAN CHICKEN: Heat a few inches of oil in a large pot to 350-375°F. Fry the breaded seitan for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Blot the fried vegan chicken with a paper towel. Place the fried breaded chicken on a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- To make the vegan buttermilk, mix together plant-based milk with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Let it sit for a few minutes until it curdles, and then it’s ready to use in the waffle batter and for the vegan chicken batter.
- If you’re short on time, you can use store-bought seitan or vegan chicken instead of making it from scratch. Look for it in the refrigerated or frozen section of your local grocery store or health food store (Gardein, Beyond Meat, and Morningstar Farms all make great options).
- For an extra kick of flavor, try adding some spices to the breading mixture. Cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes work well to add some heat!
- If you’re serving a crowd, you can keep the cooked waffles warm in the oven on a cooling rack at a low temperature until ready to serve.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings! Some other delicious options include vegan gravy, hot sauce, spicy maple syrup or vegan hot honey.
I recommend serving this dish fresh and warm. Feel free to make the waffles ahead of time and freeze them. When ready to serve the dish, you can reheat the waffles in a toaster or toaster oven. You can also freeze the seitan chicken prior to breading and air frying. I recommend making a large batch of the vegan chick’n at one time and storing it in the freezer so it’s ready to go when you need it!
This vegan chicken is made of vital wheat gluten, tofu, and jackfruit. These four ingredients make seitan, a high protein vegetarian & vegan chicken alternative.
This chicken and waffles recipe pairs perfectly with arugula. You could also serve it on a bed of baby spinach.
More Unbelievable Vegan Dishes:
- Basil Bechamel Lasagna
- Vegan Seitan Steak
- Sesame ‘Beef’ Udon Noodles
- Southern Style Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
- Creamiest Vegan Alfredo
Did you make This Vegan Chicken & Waffles Recipe?
I’d love to know! Leave a star rating and comment below!
Vegan Air Fryer Chicken
- 1 recipe of Vegan Air Fryer Buttermilk Chicken
- 1 recipe of the Best Vegan Buttermilk Belgian Waffles
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Maple Syrup, to taste
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Prep the air-fried vegan chicken according to this recipe's instructions. (See notes below for deep frying).
- While the vegan chicken cooks in the air fryer, make the waffles per the waffle recipe.
- Place a bed of arugula onto a plate. Place a warm waffle on top of the arugula. Top the waffle with the air-fried vegan chicken.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and serve with a side of the sweet chili sauce.
- Serve warm.
- The waffles can be made ahead of time and frozen. Reheat the waffles in the toaster or toaster oven.
- The vegan chicken can also be made ahead of time and frozen prior to breading and air frying.
- This dish can be stored for up to 2-3 days in the fridge but is best served fresh.
To Deep Fry and Bake the Vegan Chicken:
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 805Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g
Nutritional info is an estimate.
⭐️ Want to save this recipe for later? pin this image to pinterest! ⭐️
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my blog so I can continue to provide you with free content each week!