Sushi bowls are like the lazy person’s way of making sushi. I make this Yellow Tofu Sushi Bowl for lunch or dinner when I want a healthy yet hearty meal, fast. You’ll make this faster than it’d take to order Uber Eats from a local sushi restaurant.
The secret sauce that makes this sushi bowl is the spicy mayo. It adds a level of satiation and heat that elevates all the other flavors in this bowl. Spicy mayo is quick to make and only takes 3 common ingredients: vegan mayo, sriracha, and soy sauce (or you could use my Homemade Sweet Soy Sauce).
I like adding some healthy and lean protein to my bowl with tofu. My Yellow Tofu is a play on “yellow tail”. Punny, right? The yellow color comes from a bit of turmeric in its marinade. The turmeric is mild in flavor, but bold in color. The tofu plus the added fat from the avocado & mayo will keep you feeling satisfied and full for hours after chowing down on this bowl.
This Yellow Tofu Sushi Bowl would also be a great recipe to incorporate into a meal prep. You can store these pre-assembled bowls in the fridge for up to 5 days. To keep the veggies extra fresh, store them in a separate container and add them to the bowl when it’s ready to eat.
- 1 1/2 cup sushi rice , rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 block of extra firm tofu , drained and pressed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 medium sized carrots , cut in ribbons
- 1 cucumber , cut in ribbons
- 1 avocado , sliced
- 5-6 4" sheets of nori , roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds , white or black
- 1/4 cup cilantro , chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce
- Add the rinsed sushi rice with the water in a medium saucepan. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer on low for 16-18 minutes. The water should be completely absorbed when cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the tofu. Cut the drained tofu into 3 inch by 2 inch rounded rectangles.
- Combine the turmeric, soy sauce and sesame oil together in a small bowl. Rub the mixture on the front and backs of the tofu sheets.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a splash of sesame oil. Pan fry the tofu sheets until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes on each side.
- When the rice is tender and cooked remove the pan from the heat and remove the lid. Let the rice 'steam' for a couple minutes.
- Add the rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and agave into the rice and fluff with a fork to combine.
- Assemble the bowls by spooning the sushi rice into the bottom. Top with the raw veggies, yellow tofu, nori, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
- Mix the ingredients for the spicy mayo together and drizzle on top of the assembled bowl.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
Nutritional info is an estimate.