The Yellow Tofu Sushi Bowl recipe is a flavorful and nutritious dish that’s easy to make. It features sushi rice, savory ‘yellow’ tofu, creamy avocado, and a variety of fresh vegetables like cucumber and carrot. Topped with a simple spicy vegan mayo, this protein-packed meal is both healthy and delicious, perfect for a quick and satisfying lunch or dinner.
Why You’ll Love this Vegan Sushi Bowl
Sushi bowls are like the lazy person’s way of making sushi. I make this Yellow Tofu Sushi Bowl for lunch or dinner when I want a healthy yet hearty meal, fast. You’ll make this faster than it’d take to order Uber Eats from a local sushi restaurant.
There are many reasons I love this Yellow Tofu Sushi Bowl and you will too!
- Easy To Make: perfect for busy weeknights or when you’re short on time.
- Healthy Ingredients: it’s packed with healthy ingredients, including sushi rice, tofu, avocado, and a variety of veggies.
- Flavor Packed: from the spicy mayo dressing to the savory tofu, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Spicy Vegan Mayo
The secret sauce that makes this sushi bowl is the spicy mayo. It adds a level of satiation and heat that elevates all the other flavors in this bowl.
Spicy mayo is quick to make and only takes 3 common ingredients: vegan mayo, sriracha, and soy sauce (or you could use my Homemade Sweet Soy Sauce).
The Yellow Tofu
I like adding some healthy and lean protein to my bowl with tofu. My Yellow Tofu is a play on “yellow tail”. Punny, right?
The yellow color comes from a bit of turmeric in its marinade. The turmeric is mild in flavor, but bold in color.
The tofu plus the added fat from the avocado & mayo will keep you feeling satisfied and full for hours after chowing down on this bowl.
Add Ins & Substitutions
You can add or substitute any vegetables or protein source you like, depending on your preferences and dietary needs. Some examples include:
- Edamame Beans
- Shredded Cabbage
- Bell Peppers
- Nori or Seaweed
Serving & Storage
Serve the Yellow Tofu Sushi Bowls immediately, garnished with additional toppings if desired. Thinly sliced green onions and sesame seeds are great options! This sushi bowl would also be a great recipe to incorporate into a meal prep.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You can store these pre-assembled bowls in the fridge for up to 5 days. To keep the veggies extra fresh, store them in a separate container and add them to the bowl when it’s ready to eat.
- For extra flavor, marinate the tofu for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Rinse the rice well and use a rice cooker to easily cook the sushi rice.
- Make sure to drain and press the tofu before cooking to remove excess moisture and ensure crispy texture.
More Vegan recipes:
Did you make This Vegan Tofu Sushi Bowl?
I’d love to know! Leave a star rating and comment below!
Yellow Tofu Sushi Bowl
This Yellow Tofu Sushi Bowl makes for a super fast lunch or dinner when you're craving something healthy and hearty.
It's flavor packed with tofu, creamy avocado, and a variety of fresh veggies, topped with a simple spicy vegan mayo.
- 1 1/2 cup sushi rice , rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 block of extra firm tofu , drained and pressed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 medium sized carrots , cut in ribbons
- 1 cucumber , cut in ribbons
- 1 avocado , sliced
- 5-6 4" sheets of nori , roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds , white or black
- 1/4 cup cilantro , chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce
- Add the rinsed sushi rice with the water in a medium saucepan. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer on low for 16-18 minutes. The water should be completely absorbed when cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the tofu. Cut the drained tofu into 3 inch by 2 inch rounded rectangles.
- Combine the turmeric, soy sauce and sesame oil together in a small bowl. Rub the mixture on the front and backs of the tofu sheets.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a splash of sesame oil. Pan fry the tofu sheets until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes on each side.
- When the rice is tender and cooked remove the pan from the heat and remove the lid. Let the rice 'steam' for a couple minutes.
- Add the rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and agave into the rice and fluff with a fork to combine.
- Assemble the bowls by spooning the sushi rice into the bottom. Top with the raw veggies, yellow tofu, nori, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the spicy mayo together. Then, drizzle on top of the assembled bowl.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
Nutritional info is an estimate.
Leave a Reply