I’m a sucker for PB&Js, but I have to admit, I don’t eat them nearly as frequently as I used to. It could be because I opt for leftovers for lunches instead of sandwiches, or the fact I know longer am in school. Whatever the case, I miss that nostalgic combo! What better way to have those flavors than to combine them with a waffle. Each bite of these 6 Ingredient, Decadent Vegan PB&J Waffles is full of nostalgia and comfort.
If we’re making a PB&J Waffle, it needs to be as easy as a straight-up PB&J, right? That’s why these waffles only have 6, common place ingredients:
Non-Dairy Vanilla Milk
& Maple Syrup
We’ll be making our ‘jelly’ with fresh or frozen strawberries. I pureed about 12 whole strawberries in my blender, and divided the liquid in half. You should have about 2 cups total of pureed, blended strawberries. You’ll put half of them in the batter to sweeten the waffles, and the other half you’ll use as a sauce for the waffles.
Make sure the berries you’re using are ripe and sweet! If the strawberries aren’t super sweet, you’ll want to mix in a few extra tablespoons of maple syrup into the puree.
Our peanut butter will be in the form of a rich, sweet peanut butter sauce. To make this you’ll want to melt some peanut butter and mix it with maple syrup and a few tablespoons of non-dairy vanilla milk. It should be a pourable consistency that you can drizzle on top of the waffles.
Get ‘Em While They’re Hot
These decadent vegan PB&J waffles only take about 10-15 minutes to make. After they come out of the waffle iron, drizzle on the strawberry sauce and the peanut butter sauce. These waffles are extra tasty topped with fresh fruit, vegan butter, or additional maple syrup. You can store ’em in the fridge for 5 days or wrapped up and frozen for a few months!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups pureed strawberries, divided, about 12 whole berries
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp non-dairy vanilla milk, divided
- ¼ cup peanut butter, melted
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- Plug in the waffle iron to begin heating it up.
- Blend the strawberries in a blender until they are smooth and pureed.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Create a well in the center, and add 1 cup of the pureed strawberries. Then add ¾ cup of the non-dairy milk and stir together until just combined.
- The consistency should be a thick but pourable batter.
- Add ½ cup of batter to the greased waffle iron and cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
- While the waffles are cooking, add the melted peanut butter, 2 tbsp of maple syrup, and 2 tbsp of non dairy milk in a small bowl. Stir until well combined and smooth. The peanut butter sauce should have a pourable consistency.
- Top the waffles with a drizzle of the remaining pureed strawberries and the peanut butter sauce. Serve with fresh sliced strawberries, and any other fruit of choice.
- These waffles are best eaten while hot and straight off the waffle iron.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 105gFiber: 20gSugar: 33gProtein: 15g
Nutritional info is an estimate.
Want more breakfast inspo? Check out these other yummy breakfast recipes: