This grilled flatbread pizza brings together the seasonal flavors and textures of late summer in a satisfying weeknight dinner that’s both quick and easy. This smoky, sweet, and savory flatbread pairs blistered green chiles with juicy peaches, a creamy basil almond ricotta, and a sweet yet spicy agave drizzle.
Prepared on the grill, it’s a great way to enjoy a fresh, homemade pizza without heating up your kitchen. Use store-bought / homemade pizza dough or naan flatbreads as the base!
Why You’ll Love This Grilled Flatbread Pizza
If you’re a fan of pizza, you’ll love this recipe! Grilled flatbreads are essentially pizza that you don’t have to make in the oven. (Of course you can always use your oven if you don’t have a grill or grill pan!)
Here are a few reasons we love this recipe and you will too:
- Quick & Easy: The use of pre-made pizza dough means you can have a tasty, homemade grilled pizza in about 30 minutes.
- Balanced Seasonal Flavors: This recipe offers a well-rounded palette of sweet, smoky, and creamy elements.
- Outdoor Cooking: Keep your indoor space cool by making the entire dish on the grill.
- Customizable: Use this recipe as a guide! Switch out the toppings as you please, or adjust the thickness of the crust to your liking.
This grilled flatbread is made with ingredients that work well together, each contributing to its unique taste and texture. I’m opting for seasonal ingredients here and each one can be swapped out based on the time of year. See the substitutions below for some more ideas!
- Basil Almond Ricotta: The almonds and basil give this vegan cheese alternative its structure and herbal notes, while nutritional yeast and lemon juice provide a bit of tanginess.
- Flatbread Base: Pre-made pizza dough serves as the foundation for your toppings. You can also opt for homemade flatbread dough if you prefer.
- Peaches: The use of ripe peaches adds a juicy and naturally sweet component to the flatbread.
- Hatch Chiles: These particular chiles offer a smoky, slightly spicy flavor that compliments the sweetness of the peaches.
- Vegan Mozzarella: This dairy-free cheese substitute adds creaminess without overwhelming the other flavors. I used Miyoko’s Creamery Vegan Cashew Mozzarella.
- Additional Toppings: Charred sweet corn and red onion bring extra texture and a touch of sharpness to the dish.
- Hot Agave Sauce: A simple combination of agave nectar, vegan butter, and red pepper flakes creates a sauce that’s both sweet and spicy.
If you find yourself short on certain ingredients, or certain ingredients aren’t in season, here are some substitutes that can be used:
- Pizza Dough Alternatives: Naan flatbread can be a good substitute for pre-made pizza dough if you’re looking for a quick alternative. You can also use pita breads.
- Fruit Swap: No peaches? Consider using slices of nectarines (for summer), pears (for fall), or apples (for fall or winter).
- Chile Options: If Hatch chiles are unavailable, poblano peppers or jalapeños can be used for a similar, albeit spicier, effect.
- Food Processor: for the almond ricotta
- Grill or grill pan: for making the flatbread pizza
- Basting brush: for oiling the grill
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Prepare Basil Almond Ricotta. Combine almonds, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, fresh basil, salt, almond milk, and optional olive oil in a food processor.
Blend until mostly smooth. Feel free to adjust the salt according to your taste preferences.
STEP 2: Char the Hatch Chiles. Brush the Hatch chiles with oil and broil them in the oven or grill them over an open flame until the skin starts to blister. Once cooled, peel off the skin, remove the seeds, and dice into small pieces.
STEP 3: Grill the Peaches. Ensure the grill is well-oiled. Cut the peaches into ½-inch wedges and grill them for about 2-3 minutes per side, until they have a nice char and release their natural juices.
STEP 4: Grill the Flatbread. Shape the dough to your desired thickness. Oil the grill grates generously and apply a light layer of oil to both sides of the dough. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side.
STEP 5: Assemble the Flatbread Pizza. Spread a layer of the basil almond ricotta over the grilled flatbread. Add grilled peaches, diced Hatch chiles, vegan mozzarella, charred sweet corn, and thinly sliced red onion.
STEP 6: Cook Assembled Flatbread. Either bake in an oven preheated to 450°F for 5-8 minutes or return to the grill for another 1-2 minutes to melt the vegan cheese and combine flavors.
STEP 7: Prepare the Hot Agave Sauce. In a small bowl, mix together agave nectar, melted vegan butter, and red pepper flakes to make a sauce that’s both sweet and has a little kick.
To finish, drizzle your grilled flatbread pizza with the hot agave sauce, and add a garnish of fresh basil leaves, salt, and pepper to taste. Slice and enjoy!
Flatbread Topping Ideas
When it comes to serving, you can swap out the toppings for what you have on hand. Here’s a list of some more flatbread topping ideas and flavor combinations:
- Mediterranean Inspired: kalamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and vegan feta cheese make for a Greek-inspired flatbread.
- Green Goodness: fresh cilantro, vegan pesto, and grilled asparagus create a green and earthy vibe.
- Pickled & Spicy: for those who love a tangy heat, try sliced jalapeños and pickled red onions.
- Fresh Artichoke: artichoke hearts, pine nuts, and a swirl of pesto rosso bring a rich and varied texture. This would be great in the spring!
- Tropical BBQ Flatbread: for a sweet and spicy combo, try pineapple pieces with BBQ sauce and fresh spinach leaves. You could also use some vegan BBQ chicken here.
- Caprese: use vegan mozzarella, fresh basil, and ripe tomatoes.
- Pear & Walnut: perfect for fall or winter, layer on ripe pears (or apples), crunchy toasted walnuts, a sprinkle of arugula, and some vegan mozzarella.
- Fridge: If you happen to have leftovers, you can store the grilled pizza in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. Just make sure it has cooled down to room temperature before sealing it.
- Freezer: For longer storage, wrap the pizza slices individually in plastic wrap and then place them in a zip-lock bag. You can freeze them for up to one month. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, reheat it directly from the freezer in an oven preheated to 375°F until it’s warmed through.
Tips and Tricks for Grilling Pizza Dough
Grilling pizza dough is relatively easy but it’s important to keep a few key things in mind:
- Thin Dough: Aim for a thinner dough for quicker grilling and a crispier texture. If you prefer a thicker crust, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Rustic Shape: Shape the dough into a rustic oval. Flatbreads don’t need to be perfect!
- Oil the Grill Well: Both the grill grates and the dough itself should be well-oiled to prevent sticking and to help achieve a crispy texture.
- High Heat: A hot grill is essential for quick and even cooking, which helps the dough get that crispy exterior.
- Pre-cooked Toppings: Since the grilling process is quick, make sure toppings like the peaches and chiles are grilled or cooked ahead of time. This ensures all components are properly cooked when you assemble the pizza.
- Grill Pan: If you don’t have an outdoor grill (or maybe it’s raining), a grill pan works great for achieving similar results. This is what I used!
- Naan Pizza on the Grill: If you opted for naan flatbread (or pita) as your base, keep an eye on it as it can cook quicker than regular dough.
- Charred Sweet Corn: The charred corn can be made ahead of time or bought pre-charred to save on prep time.
Absolutely. A store-bought flatbread is a quick and easy alternative to homemade pizza dough.
Preheat your grill to a medium-high heat and make sure it’s well-oiled to prevent sticking. Also, make sure your dough is thin so it cooks through!
Did you make this Grilled Flatbread Pizza Recipe?
⭐️ I’d love to know! Leave a star rating and comment below! ⭐️
Want to Save this Recipe for Later? Pin it to Pinterest!
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my blog so I can continue to provide you with free content each week!