This creamy, dairy-free and vegan Avocado Green Goddess Dressing is bright and vibrant, with fresh herbs and tangy lemon juice. It comes together in just about 10 minutes, making it perfect for drizzling on salads, spreading on sandwiches, or spooning over Buddha bowls!
Why You’ll Love this Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
This versatile dressing has a bold, vibrant flavor and an insanely creamy texture – it’s quickly becoming my go-to sauce for quick weeknight dinners!
Here are a few reasons why we love this recipe and you will too:
- Creamy Texture: The avocado and soaked cashews create an ultra-rich and smooth base for this dressing.
- Dairy Free & Vegan: By using plant-based ingredients like avocado, herbs, and non-dairy milk, this dressing is friendly for vegan and dairy-free diets.
- Quick & Easy: With just 10 minutes of prep and blending, this sauce comes together in no time.
- Fresh, Vibrant, Herby Flavor: Lots of fresh parsley, cilantro, and basil give this dressing a bright, herby flavor profile.
What is Green Goddess Dressing?
Green goddess dressing is a creamy, herby dressing that gets its name from the vibrant green color. It’s often made with mayonnaise or sour cream, giving it a rich, indulgent texture. The classic green goddess flavor comes from lots of leafy herbs like parsley, tarragon, chives, basil, and fresh cilantro.
I wanted to create a homemade dairy-free and vegan version using avocado and cashews for creaminess instead. This lightens it up while still keeping all that signature herby flavor. It’s customizable too – adjust the herb ratios to your taste preferences or add in other herbs you have on hand!
This creamy homemade avocado green goddess dressing comes together with just a few simple whole food ingredients. I’ve tried to keep it as easy as possible while still packing in fresh flavor.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Fresh Avocado: Ripe avocado is the main ingredient that provides a rich, creamy base and healthy fats.
- Soaked Cashews: These create a dreamy cashew cream when blended.
- Fresh Basil, Cilantro, and Parsley: Plenty of fresh herbs give this dressing its signature vibrant, green color and fresh flavor. You could also add chives or green onions.
- Fresh Garlic Cloves: Adds a savory, pungent bite.
- Lemon Juice: Provides bright acidity to balance the creaminess.
- Agave Nectar: A touch of natural sweetener.
- Salt and Pepper: To help enhance all the other flavors.
- Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk: Thins and smooths out the dressing. I used almond milk.
Substitutions & Add Ins
Missing an ingredient above? Here are a few swaps that can work in a pinch:
- Vegan Greek Yogurt, Vegan Mayo or Vegan Sour Cream: A ½ cup can be used in place of soaked cashews to provide a creamy base.
- Green Onion or Chives: These can be added for an extra punch of flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar, White Wine Vinegar or Fresh Lime Juice: Provides acidity if you don’t have lemon juice.
- Cayenne Powder: Add a pinch in place of black pepper for a touch of heat.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Drizzle in a tablespoon for added flavor.
- Capers: These add a plant-based briny flavor. I love using capers to replace the flavor of anchovy paste in dressings. I opted to leave these out of the dressing below for simplicity, but I think they’d make a great addition. I use capers in my vegan Caesar Dressing and they add TONS of flavor.
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce: A bit of this is a great way to amp up the umami taste.
- High-speed blender: For creating that creamy texture we’re going for.
- Food processor: Can also be used to blend the ingredients, although it will result in a chunkier texture.
- Airtight container or mason jar: For storing leftovers in the fridge.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are a few easy steps to make this classic green goddess dressing at home:
STEP 1: Soak the cashews in 1/2 cup warm water for 5 minutes. Gather the other ingredients while they soak.
STEP 2: Add all the remaining ingredients to a high-speed blender. Once the cashews have soaked, add them plus the 1/2 cup soaking water to the blender.
STEP 3: Blend for 1-2 minutes until completely smooth and creamy. Add more water or almond milk as needed to thin the dressing to your desired consistency. Taste and add salt as desired.
STEP 4: Transfer the blended dressing to an airtight container or mason jar. Store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
I love using this versatile dressing in so many ways! It’s delicious drizzled over dark, leafy greens or a fresh spring salad. I especially enjoy spooning it over Buddha Bowls and grain bowls, where all the fresh ingredients really help add tons of flavor. This creamy green goddess dressing takes any dish to the next level.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to use this dressing:
- Salad Dressing: Drizzle it over your favorite salads like kale salads or classic wedge salads for a green goddess salad dressing.
- Dipping Sauce: Use it as a dip for fresh vegetables, tortilla chips, or pita chips. It makes an excellent veggie dip or dipping sauce.
- Pasta Sauce: Toss it with pasta for a green sauce that clings to the noodles.
- Sandwich Spread: Spread it on sandwiches in place of mayo for a flavorful and creamy alternative.
- Burrito Bowl Sauce: Use it as a sauce for tacos, fajitas, enchiladas or burrito bowls.
Store leftover dressing in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. The lemon juice helps prevent the dressing from turning brown, however, the color may darken slightly. The flavor will remain fresh though!
- Ripe Avocados: Use the ripest avocados possible for the creamiest texture.
- Scrape the Sides of the Blender: When blending, stop and scrape down the sides as needed to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- Add More Herbs to Taste: Customize the herb ratios to your tastes – for example, add more cilantro if you want it to be more prominent.
- Make the Sauce Thinner as Needed: Thin with a splash more almond milk or water if the dressing is too thick.
Yes, you can omit the cashews and use a little extra non-dairy milk like soy or oat milk (or even vegan mayo) when blending to achieve a creamy base without nuts. The dressing will be slightly darker in color.
Green goddess dressing is known for its fresh, herby flavor from ingredients like parsley, basil, tarragon, chives, and cilantro. It has a tangy, creamy base and a bright green color. The herbs make the dressing vibrant while the creamy texture makes it lush and rich. It’s a great choice for dressing up salads, grains, pasta and more.