Can you say cheese y’all? If you come from a cheese-centric family, this recipe is for you. These super easy cheesy vegan stuffed peppers (they’re also gluten-free!) are based on one of my favorite childhood meals. My mom used to make ham & cheese stuffed peppers all the time before I went vegetarian (and vegan). I loved them and actually really missed this meal after going vegan.
I was super lucky that she was willing to veganize them for me after I switched to veganism. I’ve taken her recipe and modified it a bit to create these super easy cheesy vegan stuffed peppers. They’re filling, warm, comforting, and absolutely drool-worthy.
Okay, so today I’m stuffing these peppers with a “ham & cheese” inspired filling. But you may be wondering, “if we can’t use ham and we can’t use cheese, what actually goes in them?” Instead of ham, the protein I’m using is my super savory baked tofu, cubed up into small pieces. Mixed in with the baked tofu is the bulk of the filling – trusty white rice. The third main ingredient is plant-based cheese.
So what kind of cheese is in these, you ask? It may sound strange but what makes these peppers so dang delicious is my vegan take on pimento cheese. This non-dairy pimento cheese is easy to make and adds so much creaminess to the pepper mixture.
A lot of the drool worthiness comes from this cheesy mix, so you definitely don’t want to skip it! To make the pimento cheese, you can mix vegan mayo, vegan cream cheese, diced pimento peppers, vegan cheddar cheese, and spices together.
This filling makes enough to fill up about 6 peppers. I like to use an assortment of different colors, but feel free to use any colored peppers you desire! After filling these bad boys up and a quick bake in the oven, the cheese on top gets reeeaal crispy. The crispiness with the creamy inside is just absolutely perfect. You definitely won’t be disappointed with these fast, omnivore approved stuffed peppers.
They make for an incredible 30-minute dinner.
- 6 bell peppers of various colors, tops and seeds removed
- 1 ½ cup of white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1 recipe of the Best Flavorful Baked Tofu
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp pimento peppers, jarred and minced
- ⅔ cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven for 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium saucepan add the white rice, water, and veggie stock. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, place the cleaned and empty bell peppers in a glass baking pan with the tops facing up.
- Place the pan in the oven and prebake the peppers for 10 minutes.
- While the peppers are baking, combine all the ingredients for the pimento cheese together in a medium bowl.
- When the rice is cooked and tender, fluff it with a fork. Add the pimento cheese mixture and the baked tofu to the rice pot.
- Stir together all the ingredients until all the rice is coated in the cheese mixture and the tofus are well distributed.
- Add about ½ cup of the mixture to each pepper.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the peppers are completely tender and the rice starts to appear golden brown on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 387mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g
Nutritional info is an estimate.