Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, this Classic Vegan Irish Soda Bread is soft on the inside and crusty on the outside. This is a traditional yeast-free bread filled with raisins and flavored with caraway seeds. Also, this plant-based soda bread is completely dairy-free, so it’s made without buttermilk! With only 10 ingredients, this quick bread is a great way to celebrate St. Patty’s Day.
First, a little history about the origin of Irish Soda Bread. Despite what the name suggests, soda bread was first created by the Native Americans in North America and the Irish later replicated the process. Soda bread was adopted widely in Ireland because of its use of inexpensive ingredients. You can find more info through this article!
This bread only has 10 simple ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store. They are:
Baking Powder & Baking Soda
Apple Cider Vinegar
Tips for Making Irish Soda Bread
The ingredients in traditional soda bread are usually flour, baking soda, and buttermilk. Since we are making a vegan version, we are swapping the buttermilk with a dairy-free alternative. You can easily make a vegan buttermilk alternative by stirring together almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Before mixing all the ingredients together, let the almond milk and vinegar curdle for about 10 minutes.
When you mix all the ingredients together, the dough should feel stiff and sticky. It’s important to not over mix or knead the dough at all. This will make the loaf heavy and dense after baking.
The dough should come together easily into a ball. If the dough feels too sticky to shape, sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until you can shape it into a loaf. After shaping the dough into a circular loaf, you can cut an “X” in the top with a knife. This “X” or cross shape is what gives soda bread its classic look. This divides the loaf into quadrants that can be easily broken apart.
If you’re in the mood for more baked goods like this Classic Vegan Irish Soda Bread, you should check out these fun recipes!
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, I used Country Crock Plant Butter
- 1 1/3 cup vegan buttermilk, 1 1/3 cup almond milk mixed with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (set aside for 10 mins)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 flax egg, 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder in a large bowl.
- Cut in the vegan plant butter. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- Combine the vegan buttermilk, baking soda, and flax egg.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Mix everything thoroughly. The dough will be stiff and sticky. Grease an 8 " round pan. Shape the dough into a domed circle / loaf, and put the dough in the pan. Cut an “X” in the top of the dough with a knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, until golden brown on top. When you tap the dough, it should sound hollow.
Baking time will depend on your oven and how wide/tall you shape the loaf.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gFiber: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutritional info is an estimate.
Disclosure: This page contains some affiliate links. Please know that I may receive a percentage or commission from a link included on this page, at no cost to you. I will only recommend a product or service that I have used or believe has substantial value to my readers.