Today let me show you how to make my favorite salad dressing of all time….but dairy-free, plant-based, eggless, and vegan! This Homemade Vegan Buttermilk Ranch is seriously the best salad dressing! It’s made with vegan mayo, yogurt, lots of herbs like dill & parsley, and you’ll want to pour it on everything. I promise.
what you’ll need
To make this easy and quick vegan ranch dip, you’ll need to first gather a few ingredients. Most of these are herbs that are essential in making this taste delicious! If you’ve ever had the ranch dressing at California Pizza Kitchen, this is a vegan copycat recipe of it.
the main ingredients
To make this non dairy ranch dressing, you’ll need the following:
- Vegan Mayo: I’m using Hellman’s Vegan Mayo in this recipe. This is the base of this plant based ranch. It’s essential for the creaminess.
- Plain, Unsweetened Vegan Yogurt: Dairy-free yogurt helps add some acidity to the dressing to make it closer to ‘buttermilk’. The vegan yogurt adds creaminess while reducing the amount of fat in the dressing. I’m using plain soy yogurt by Silk.
- Fresh Parsley: herbs like parsley add a bulk of the flavor to this dip / dressing. Parsley that’s fresh is preferred but you can substitute dried herbs if you don’t have any on hand.
- Fresh Scallions: Again, fresh green scallions / onions add a TON of flavor to this dressing. These are a must.
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce: this adds some deep savory flavor to the dressing. Be sure your Worcestershire is vegan! Annie’s makes a vegan version.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: vinegar is necessary to add acidity to the dressing. This combined with the creamy mayo and yogurt creates that delicious buttermilk flavor.
- Garlic: This adds a tremendous amount of flavor. Don’t skip this ingredient!
- Dried or Fresh Dill: Same goes for dill. Dill is that classic flavor that you need to make this ranch dressing. I’m using dried dill in this recipe because it’s more accessible but you could also use fresh.
- Dried Mustard Powder: This is essentially mustard flavor concentrated into a powder. That way we don’t add excess liquid to the dressing. If you don’t have the mustard powder you can substitute twice the amount of regular mustard.
- Dried Oregano: Again, more flavor!
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: This is to help thin the dressing out a bit so it’s a pourable consistency. You could also use water.
- Salt & Pepper
let’s make the dressing!
Alright! Now that you have all the ingredients, making the herb ranch dressing is super simple and quick. I mean really, really easy!
Just combine everything into a medium-sized bowl (or use a glass measuring cup as I did), and mix it all up! Once combined, you’ll want to cover your bowl and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours. This will help all of the flavors develop and it will taste so much better!
This is the easiest, best homemade vegan buttermilk ranch dressing! It’s herby, creamy, tangy, and downright dip-able!
tips & tricks
This recipe uses a base of vegan mayo and dairy-free yogurt to make homemade vegan ranch dressing. When combined with herbs like parsley, dill, scallions, and garlic, you get that classic creamy ranch flavor!
Mayo is typically not vegan since it has eggs in it. However, many companies now make vegan versions of mayo. The one I use is this recipe is by Hellman’s.
I don’t recommend substituting anything for the vegan mayo in the recipe. However, there are many other recipes that use cashews as the base of the ranch. I’ve found that vegan mayo provides a more authentic ‘ranch’ flavor.
Looking for some recipes to use this ranch with? Check out these vegan dishes!BBQ “Chicken” Pizza
Vegan Air Fried Seitan “Chicken”
Crispy Air Fried Tofu Nuggets
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Leave a rating and comment below!
Homemade Vegan Buttermilk Ranch
A super creamy, dairy-free, and vegan-friendly homemade buttermilk ranch dressing full of delicious herbs that you'll want to pour on top of just about everything.
- 1 cup vegan mayo (208g)
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened dairy free yogurt (120g)
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar (5g)
- 1 tbsp minced scallions (8g)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2g)
- ½ tsp dried mustard (0.5g)
- 2 tsp fresh minced italian parsley (4g)
- 1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce (3g)
- 1 tsp minced fresh dill, or sub 2 tsp dried dill, (2g)
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper, (2g)
- ¼ tsp salt (2g)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened plain almond milk, 30g
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hours for flavors to develop.
- Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Makes 1 ½ cups of ranch dressing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutritional info is an estimate.
Disclosure: This page contains some affiliate links. Please know that I may receive a percentage or commission from a link included on this page, at no cost to you. I will only recommend a product or service that I have used or believe has substantial value to my readers.
Leave a Reply