Summer is here which means it’s prime seafood season. Luckily, there are quite a few tasty vegan fish alternatives on the market nowadays. Today, I’m making these Vegan Garlic Aioli “Fish” Tacos! These vegan tacos are filled with Gardein F’ish Fillets, a zesty lime slaw, a garlicky lime aioli, and lots of avocados! They’re completely plant-based and vegetarian, but I guarantee these tacos will be eaten right up by omnivores alike.
why you’ll love these vegan tacos
- super simple: they’re fast and easy to whip up
- zesty and flavorful: the garlic aioli and lime slaw add tons of flavor
- filling yet light: these have lots of protein so they fill you up but they’re light and fresh for Spring and Summer!
the main ingredients
These tacos are super simple and fast to make. What I love about this recipe is that you only need a few ingredients and less than 30 minutes to whip them up! If you scroll down to the recipe card below, it’s complete with a tangy dressing for your slaw mixture, as well as an aioli sauce recipe that pairs perfectly with these fish tacos.
You can also serve these tacos with a homemade salsa like this mango habanero salsa.
To make the tacos, you’ll need to make the following components:
- Corn Tortillas
- Gardein F’ish Fillets
- Homemade Garlic Aioli
- Homemade Lime Slaw
zesty lime slaw mixture
One of the main components of these tacos, is the zesty lime coleslaw! The slaw adds a really nice cold crunch to the tacos that goes so nicely with the crispy, warm vegan fish.
To make this recipe extra easy and fast, I like to use a pre-bagged and cut coleslaw mixture.
If you’re not using package coleslaw, you’ll just want to shred 3-4 cups of green cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrots.
To make the dressing for the slaw, I find it easiest to blend all the ingredients up in a blender. This helps emulsify the dressing, so the oil is less likely to separate from the vinegar.
Once you add all the ingredients to the blender, pulse it for about 10 seconds. Next, when you’re ready to eat, toss the slaw with the dressing.
vegan garlic-lime aioli
This garlic lime aioli is the BEST vegan sauce for fish tacos. It has just the right amount of kick from the garlic and smoked paprika but is also tart and zesty from the lime juice! If you’re looking for a really tasty vegan fish taco sauce, this is it!
To make the aioli, I’m using store-bought vegan mayo. I really love the one by Hellman’s. It’s super creamy and tastes very similar to ‘regular’ mayo.
You’ll want to mix the vegan mayo with grated or minced garlic, smoked paprika, lime juice, vegan Worcestershire, and salt & pepper to taste.
Next up is serving! The aioli can be used right away, but if you put it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes while your vegan fish cooks, it will taste even better!
tips & tricks
Tortillas can be charred in a pan, on a grill, or with a gas burner. Since I don’t have a gas stove, I like to heat up a cast-iron skillet (without any oil). Then, I cook each side of the tortilla on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
You can top these veggie tacos with avocado, thinly sliced Jalapeño, corn, sliced cherry tomatoes, crema, and chips & salsa!
This recipe uses Gardein’s F’ish Fillets. This vegan fish alternative is found at most grocery stores like Target and Kroger. You can also make vegetarian/vegan fish from tofu or heart of palms.
more summer dinner ideas
- Vegan Tofu Sushi Bowl
- The Best Vegan BBQ Chick’n Pizza
- Vegan Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Vegan Shrimp and Grits
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to know! Leave a rating and comment below!
Garlic Lime Aioli
- ½ cup Vegan Mayo
- 3 tbsp Lime Juice
- ¼ tsp Grated Garlic
- ¼ tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Vegan Worcestershire
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 14 oz Pre-packaged Slaw Mix (3-4 cups cut green & purple cabbage and carrots)
- ¼ cup Rice Vinegar
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- Juice of 1/2 a Lime
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
Tacos & Toppings
- 1 package Gardein F’ish Fillets
- 6-9 Corn or Flour Tortillas
- Cilantro, for topping
- Sliced avocado, for topping
- Sliced jalapeños (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the garlic-lime aioli together. Cover and set aside in the fridge while prepping the other ingredients.
- Prepare the Gardein F’ish Fillets according to the package instructions. (I air fried mine at 400F for 20 mins).
- In your blender add the vinegar, oil, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, and brown sugar for the slaw dressing. Blend until well combined. In a medium sized bowl, toss the dressing with the slaw mixture.
- Heat a medium sized cast iron skillet on medium heat. Char the tortillas by cooking them in the skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Assemble the tacos by spreading aioli on the tortilla, adding the Gardein F’ish and topping with the slaw, avocado, cilantro and jalapenos, if using.
- If using corn tortillas, they are best served warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 taco
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 6gProtein: 8g
Disclosure: This page contains some affiliate links. Please know that I may receive a percentage or commission from a link included on this page, at no cost to you. I will only recommend a product or service that I have used or believe has substantial value to my readers.